Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Matthew's Birthday

So we had a party for Matthew last Saturday (his b-day, the 31st) and officially invited 12 children (plus a few, unofficially) and 11 came. It was pretty crazy, but organized enough to stay sane (barely). Each child got a pillowcase upon coming. Each had a Cars character on it and the kids were divided into groups depending on who was on their pillowcase (Lightning, Mater,Red, or Fillmore--that's all that were on the fabric that I was using to make the appliques). We have an ocean-themed bathroom, and so we had a Fishing Pond in there. Emma and Amber ran that, hiding behind the shower curtain, and talking to the kids through hand puppets---very entertaining! There was a bead necklace station, and then balls and balloons outside in the tent we had slept out in the night before was another station. we were going to have a puzzle station, AND a cake-decorating station, but fortunately, we were able to contain everyone in three groups. This was really good because the cheap silicone train cake pan that I bought on clearance was terrible at dumping out neatly, and I ended up making cupcakes DURING the party for the kids to have at the end of the party.
Crappy silicone cake mold (soon to be listed on ebay;) )

We also had a dilapitated pinata that I got from Salvation Army, that on the inside, was built VERY well, and it looked like the kids would never be able to break it. At first, we used a paper towel roll, then a plastic sand shovel, and then a club-like stick that we finally let our older kids use to bring the donkey down. We had to hurry, because half of the little kids had already lost interest in the pinata and were playing around in the yard.

Paper towel roll method.

Plastic shovel method.

My Nursery blanket I made in AZ proved VERY useful for gathering times. Kids do really well at staying on their own color, when they have a color for sitting ON.

Later, I mixed up cake batch #3, and made a Lightning McQueen race track cake, with a new Luigi and Guido on it (he lost his Guido that he got for Christmas...it's only about 1 inch tall, afterall). It was fun. Matthew really loved all of his presents, especially his Lightning McQeen stuff that he ended up getting.


Amber watches Matthew checking out his new Cookie Monster...he fell in love with Cookie Monster from a mylar balloon at the Safeway Bakery that I faked a Cookie Monster voice with and had a conversation with Matthew about the importance of eating cookies.

Happy Birthday Matthew...4 years old!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

John said...

sWell, that sounds like it was a lot of effort, but a lot of fun for the kids. It is hard to believe that Matthew is 4!!! That is so grown up. I still think of him a a baby. I still think of Adam as a baby too, and he keeps correcting me.

Amy Eds said...

Wow! What a party! Sounds awesome! The fishing pond sounds fun! Well, it all sounds fun actually! I LOVE that nursery blanket you made! You should bring it with you next time you come for the kids to sit and watch a movie on or something! That's great! It sounds like Matthew had a GREAT birthday!

Becca said...

so cute! MAtthew is quite the doll! Seriously, that kid is one of the cutest!

Why are you putting the tray on ebay if it doesn't work?

And I agree, it is very important to eat cookies!!!

Way to go Mare on a sweet-awesome birthday for your adorable boy!

Animal-Lover said...

The tray is usable--it's just that I hate silicone pans! I thought they would be so nice...the little roof overhang of the train is so hard to get out, it's ridiculous! People in the world LIKE silicone, just not me.:)

Mary said...

OOPS! I forgot Elizabeth was still signed in for that last comment...quite the culinary critic, eh?

Jeremy said...

Mary, that is amazing what you can do! I don't think there's any way I could handle 12 kids (really, I can only handle as many kids as I have computers, and there is a definite minimum age requirement).

I really like your nursery blanket--that is a relaly cool idea!

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon